The best action to take according to The National Weather Service is to avoid the area. An Ice Storm Warning means significant amounts of ice accumulation will make travel dangerous or impossible. Travel is strongly discouraged. If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency. Snapped power lines and falling tree branches are also possible.
The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can be obtained by going to www.gettingaroundillinois.com in Illinois or by calling 1 8 0 0 2 6 1 7 6 2 3 in Indiana.
Read the full alert from The National Weather Service
- WHAT: Significant icing. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 5
inches and ice accumulations of up to three tenths of an inch.
- WHERE: Lee, DeKalb, Kane and La Salle Counties.
- WHEN: Until 9 AM CST Tuesday.
- IMPACTS: Strong westerly winds are expected to develop
Tuesday afternoon and continue Tuesday night. These strong
winds may result in blowing snow and may also increase the
threat of power outages, especially for areas that see the
more significant ice accumulations tonight.
- ADDITIONAL DETAILS: Plan on dangerous travel conditions. The
hazardous conditions will impact the morning commute.