The best action to take according to NWS is to avoid the area. An Ice Storm Warning means significant amounts of ice accumulation will make travel dangerous or impossible. Travel is strongly discouraged. If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency. Snapped power lines and falling tree branches are also possible.
The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can be obtained by going to www.gettingaroundillinois.com in Illinois or by calling 1 8 0 0 2 6 1 7 6 2 3 in Indiana.
Read the full alert from The National Weather Service
- WHAT: Significant icing with total ice accumulations of a up to
a half inch.
- WHERE: DuPage and Cook Counties.
- WHEN: Until 9 AM CST this morning.
- IMPACTS: Strong westerly winds are expected to develop this
afternoon and continue tonight. These strong winds will
increase the threat of power outages later today and tonight.
- ADDITIONAL DETAILS: Plan on icy road conditions. The hazardous
conditions will impact the morning commute.