A shallow earthquake of magnitude 5.5 was reported 7.46 miles south-southeast of Volcano, Hawaii, near Chain of Craters Rd, Pāhoa, HI 96778, USA at a depth of 5.9 km, according to the United States Geological Survey. An earthquake of this magnitude is considered to be moderate.
The reported time was Mar 13, 2019 at 10:55:13 AM UTC. USGS alert level for this quake is ‘green’ which mean an estimate of zero fatalities and less than $1 million in losses. USGS reports that this quake event was manually reviewed.
232 people reported feeling this tremor on the USGS website.
Map of Earthquake
The roman numerals on the map reference the so called ‘Modified Mercalli Intensity’ level, shown here for reference with abbreviated descriptions:
- Not felt except by a very few under especially favorable conditions.
- Felt only by a few persons at rest, especially on upper floors of buildings. Delicately suspended objects may swing.
- Felt quite noticeably by persons indoors, especially on upper floors of buildings. Many people do not recognize it as an earthquake. Standing motor cars may rock slightly. Vibration similar to the passing of a truck. Duration estimated.
- Felt indoors by many, outdoors by few during the day. At night, some awakened. Dishes, windows, doors disturbed; walls make cracking sound. Sensation like heavy truck striking building. Standing motor cars rocked noticeably.
- Felt by nearly everyone; many awakened. some dishes, windows broken. Unstable objects overturned. Pendulum clocks may stop.
- Felt by all, many frightened. Some heavy furniture moved; a few instances of fallen plaster. Damage slight.
- Damage negligible in buildings of good design and construction; slight to moderate in well-built ordinary structures; considerable damage in poorly built or badly designed structures; some chimneys broken.
- Damage slight in specially designed structures; considerable damage in ordinary substantial buildings with partial collapse. Damage great in poorly built structures. Fall of chmineys, factory stacks, columns, monuments, walls. Heavy furniture overturned.
- Damage considerable in specially designed structures; well-designed frame structures thrown out of plumb. Damage great in substantial buildings, with partial collapse. Buildings shifted off foundations.
- Some well-built wooden structures destroyed; most masonry and frame structures destroyed with foundations. Rail bent.
- Few, if any (masonry) structures remain standing. Bridges destroyed. Rails bent greatly.
- Damage total. Lines of sight and level are distorted. Objects thrown into the air.
The earthquake was located near Keauhou Trail and Kealakomo. Were you there? Let us know what happened in the comments below.